Saturday, January 30, 2016

3 Must Try Food in Puerto Princesa

Traveling is not complete without trying the local dishes.

Aside from meeting other people, trying to interact with the locals, I see to it that whenever I go somewhere I have to try their local cuisine.

I have list down 3 dishes that I’ve tried and highly recommended.


1. Tamilok

When I was researching and doing my itinerary, I came across with this and I know that I have to try it. Tamilok or woodworm is a famous delicacy in Palawan. It is actually not a worm but a mollusk found inside rotting mangroves. That is why it taste somehow like an oysters. This is usually done in Kinilaw style.

Tamilok can be found anywhere in Palawan. I saw one while I was at Bakers Hill but I’ve tried it at Kinabuchs around PHP 135.00. Yucky at first glance but it’s delicious.


2. Chaolong

After communists conquered South Vietnam, many Vietnamese fled to Palawan to seek refuge. And that is where they introduce Vietmanese food culture. Chao Long is a Palawan version of “Pho”, a meat stew soup with rice noodles. This is usually serve with sprig of mint and basil, bean sprout and calamansi. This is best paired with French bread.

There are so many chaolong house in Palawan but I’ve tried mine at Bona’s along Manalo Avenue Extension. This cost me around PHP 65.00. But if you want to eat more authentic Vietnamese food, I suggest to go to Viet Ville which is on the way going to Underground River.

Reminder, don’t wear light clothes when trying to eat this as you will get splattered with the savory juice.

3. Crocodile Sisig

My friend suggested this. Initially, we were going to eat this at Crocodile Farm. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a chance go there. But we did eat this at Ka Inato on our way to San Jose Terminal.

Like any other sisig, Crocodile sisig is serve with sizzling hot plate. We mixed this with soy sauce and calamansi. I have tried this after my friend does. And viola, the meat is so tender. I did not expect this at all. There is no weird taste or smell. If you’re not going to tell me what this is, I would say this is a chicken. Yes, we agreed that crocodile meat tastes somehow like a chicken.

One serving of crocodile sisig at Ka Inato costs us PHP 350.00.

Side note: Ka Inato is a mute and deaf friendly place as some of their staffs are deaf and mute.

Additional (Sorry can't help but to share this too.  :))


Ka Lui’s Tubattaha Salad

This is one one Ka Lui’s best seller dish. Tubattaha Salad is made of fresh tuna strips, cashew nuts, ripe mangoes, melon, papaya, seaweed, pomelo and Palawan dressing. Weird combination but tastes delicious. It has a unique taste of sweet and sour.


There goes my must try food list. Hope this will help on your Palawan trip!

Thanks,
Kjoyce







No comments:

Post a Comment